W. C. Handy School was built on the property that originally belonged to W. C. Handy's family. William Christopher Handy came to the dedication of the school in 1952 and visited several other times.

Handy School served West Florence as an elementary school until 1972.

It then became a family service center and Head Start center for the area.

 

Privacy Policy  |  Employee Intranet                                                                                                                                                                                                                       © Copyright 2010; All Rights Reserved
Florence City Schools

Accreditation
 
All public schools in Florence are fully accredited by SACS CASI (Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Council on Accreditation and School Improvement), one of the first 150 school systems in America to be comprehensively accredited as a district.

Equal Education/Employment Opportunity Statement

It is the official policy of the Florence City School District that no person shall on the grounds of race, color, disability, sex, religion, creed, national origin or age, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any program, activity or employment.